Helping New Yorkers discover, access, and use accurate medical information.
Southeastern facilitates access to medical and consumer health information to benefit all New Yorkers.
Southeastern advocates for hospital libraries and librarians to have a positive impact on patient care.
Advocacy Goal: Hospital libraries must be staffed by professional librarians with access to essential knowledge-based information and with the skills, knowledge, experience, and space to provide the services and support required by medical staff at hospitals of all sizes and types.
Southeastern supports the Standards of Practice for Hospital Libraries and Librarians, 2022.
- Hospital libraries and library staff are essential partners in providing excellent healthcare and achieving optimal patient outcomes.
- Hospital libraries ensure access to peer-reviewed resources and training materials that would be impossible for individuals to purchase themselves.
- Hospital librarians provide timely, evidence-based medical information to support better patient care outcomes.
- Hospital librarians are a critical member of a hospital’s healthcare team.
Southeastern supports health equity so all New Yorkers have a fair and just opportunity to attain their highest level of health.
In the area of hospital library services, the Hospital Library Services Program Manager and Hospital Library Advisory Committee will:
- Promote resources or programs that inform hospital library patrons about EDI concepts and practices in a medical context.
- Ensure that hospital library collections include resources that enable medical staff to equitably and inclusively care for the health of underserved populations in their communities.
- Use and promote training materials and programs that are accessible and that raise awareness about disparities in access to consumer health and medical information.
Southeastern administers and supports library websites for hospital members to ensure hospital librarians and medical staff can access and use accurate medical information for patient care.