Digital Navigators are trained, trusted guides who help with various technology needs. Navigators work in libraries and other community organizations. They assist anyone needing a device, secure free or low-cost internet service, and much more. This service is FREE! To learn more about the work of Digital Navigators of the Hudson Valley, you can view our website here.
We are coming back starting Fall 2023!
Who: The current program is open to anyone who has already trained or worked as a Digital Navigator. (the January 2024 program will be open to all.) If you would like to join us again, please complete the application here. Applications are due on Thursday, October 12 at 12:00 pm. Applications are open to individuals who work at libraries and nonprofit organizations in the following counties: Columbia, Greene, Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, and Westchester.
What: Digital Navigators will train with staff from National Digital Inclusion Alliance (NDIA) and staff from Southeastern NY Library Resources Council, Ramapo Catskill Library System, Mid-Hudson Library System, and Westchester Library System. This new training will add to your existing knowledge and update you on current programs, services, and resources for clients. Once trained, Navigators will meet with clients and report back on the meetings by submitting intake and exit forms. We will meet twice a month as a group and maintain an active listserv.
Navigators who meet the requirements by January 31, 2024 will receive a $500 investment incentive that is payable to their organization.
Where: All meetings and training sessions will be held online via Zoom.
When: The time commitment for meetings and training is the following:
- Monday, October 23: 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm (training with NDIA)
- Tuesday, October 24: 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm (training with NDIA)
- Thursday, October 26: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (office hours)
- Tuesday, November 9: 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (office hours with NDIA)
- Tuesday, November 30: 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (office hours)
- Tuesday, December 14: 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (office hours with NDIA)
- Tuesday, December 21: 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (office hours)
- Watch a one-hour on-demand video created by NDIA.
- Attend the two live training sessions.*
- Attend all the office hour meetings.*
- Meet with at least 10 unique clients and complete an intake and exit form for each client.
- Engage with the listserv at least once by asking or answering a question or sharing an anecdote.
* We understand that things come up! If you have an unavoidable conflict on a training session or office hours date, you may be excused if you can catch up on the work. However, if you know that more than one of these dates will be a conflict with your schedule, we ask that you please wait until the next session to apply.
Additionally, Navigators will do ONE of the following:
- Demonstrate using promotional materials with “Digital Navigators of the Hudson Valley” – either a press release, event, newsletter, or social media posting.
- Coordinate with an organization outside of yours to promote Digital Navigator service.
- Coordinate with Southeastern, MHLS, or RCLS to meet with an elected official to talk about Digital Navigators
- Represent Digital Navigators of the Hudson Valley at NYLA, Net Inclusion, ALA or another related trade conference. (we highly encourage you to submit a proposal for a presentation or lightning round slot!)
- Attend an in-person event if we host one for Digital Navigators
Once all the requirements have been met, your library or organization will receive an investment incentive of $500 to continue the work of a Digital Navigator. If you do not submit requirements by January 31, 2024, the investment incentive will not be granted.
All participants in the program will receive 3 hours of CE credit for the training sessions and a certification of completion at the end of the session.
(note: if you have not been a navigator in the past and don’t qualify for this round, hang tight! There will be at least three additional training sessions that will be open to more individuals in January, April, and July 0f 2024. That application will open in late October.)
Carolyn Bennett Glauda, Southeastern NY Library Resources Council
Meaghan Doyle, Ramapo Catskill Library System, email@example.com
Kerstin Cruger, Mid-Hudson Library System, firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Smith, Westchester Library System, email@example.com
(note: there will be at least three additional training sessions that will be open to more individuals in January, April, and July 0f 2024.)
Funding for this program has been provided in part by the financial support of Southeastern NY Library Resources Council, Ramapo Catskill Library System, Mid-Hudson Library System, and Westchester Library System.