Date: Monday, November 13, 2023
Facilitator: Lauren Dodd, United States Military Academy at West Point
Location: online via Zoom
This month, we will discuss Change Management! Change is perhaps the only constant in libraries. Let’s discuss change readiness and change management from your leadership position. What principles of change management have you practiced in the past, either intentionally or unknowingly? What are your best practices in preparing your team for changes (both big and small)? How do we tackle resistance to change in libraries?
If this is your first time formally delving into the topic, here is a mini primer from Library Leadership and Management to help ground the discussion: Basic Leadership Competencies–Change Management.
This group is for library workers of all library types who handle administrative tasks and are becoming leaders in the field. If you aspire to or are currently working as, a: director, assistant director, manager, program manager, trustee, or serve in a leadership role within a professional organization, this meeting is for you! Topics we will cover in this meeting may include:
- Supervising other staff, volunteers, and/or interns
- Introducing and running programs and services at the library
- Onboarding new employees
- Getting professional development for management skills
- Doing advocacy work on behalf of the library
- Creating and maintaining a budget
- Work/life balance in the light of growing work responsibilities
- Networking with other library workers who may become future colleagues
- Staying committed to social justice issues
- Working within union structures
- Influencing the culture of the library from within
- Deciding when and if to apply for different positions
The nature of the conversation will be based on the interests of the people who attend and may change from meeting to meeting. You can view the notes from previous meetings here.