Date: Thursday, October 26, 2023
Time: 9:00am – 2:30pm
Location: Newburgh Armory, 321 S. William Street, Newburgh, NY 12550
See https://fallintobooks.org/ for more information
Registration is open for the 24th Annual Fall Into Books Children’s and Teen Literature Conference. Held annually, Fall Into Books brings together school and public librarians from eight counties within the Hudson Valley for a day of literacy, discussion, networking, and insight. This collaborative event features book discussion sessions (ranging from picture books to young adult), morning speaker Sharon Fox, keynote author presentation from John Parra, a book sale, and catered breakfast and lunch. This conference provides an excellent opportunity for attendees to engage in collaborative discussions on children’s and teen literature. Library workers and educators of all types are welcome.
- Engage effectively in collaborative discussions.
- Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take.
- Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
- Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
- Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
- Analyze how and why individuals, events, or ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.
8:30 am – 8:55 am – Registration
8:55 pm – 9:00 am – Introduction
9:00 am – 10:00 am – Morning speaker – Sharon Fox
10:10 am – 11:10 am – Book Discussion Groups: 1st session
11:10 am – 11:25 am – Book Sales and Break
11:25 am – 12:25 pm – Book Discussion Groups: 2nd session
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm – Lunch and book sales
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm – Author Presentation, John Parra
2:30 pm – Closing
Participants can choose three Book Discussion Groups in order of preference and will be assigned two choices. See https://fallintobooks.org/ for details about the titles and discussion leaders for each group.
- Group I Picture Books
- Group II Picture Books/Elementary
- Group III Elementary
- Group IV Elementary
- Group V Middle Grade
- Group VI Middle/Teen
- Group VII Teen
- Group VIII Teen
Fall Into Books is a collaborative effort sponsored by the following Hudson Valley library organizations:
Dutchess BOCES School Library System
Orange-Ulster BOCES School Library System
Rockland BOCES School Library System
Sullivan BOCES School Library System
Ulster BOCES School Library System
Ramapo Catskill Library System
Mid-Hudson Library System
Southeastern New York Library Resources Council