Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2022
Facilitator: Elizabeth Portillo, Finklestein Memorial Library
Location: online via Zoom or Southeastern's Conference Room
21 S. Elting Corners Rd.
This month's topic:
- Friendships in the Workplace
- Two coworker friends can be great until there's a fight at the reference desk... Join us for a conversation on juggling interlibrary friendships, office parties, favoritism and how to balance all of it to keep things civil and comfortable for all.
The meeting's facilitator will be joining us via Zoom. We will set up our conference room for anyone who wants to join the meeting in person and participate via Zoom in the conference room. Please indicate your preference on the registration page.
This group is for library workers of all library types who handle administrative tasks and are becoming leaders in the field. If you aspire to or are currently working as, a: director, assistant director, manager, program manager, trustee, or serve in a leadership role within a professional organization, this meeting is for you! Topics we will cover in this meeting may include:
- Supervising other staff, volunteers, and/or interns
- Introducing and running programs and services at the library
- Onboarding new employees
- Getting professional development for management skills
- Doing advocacy work on behalf of the library
- Creating and maintaining a budget
- Work/life balance in the light of growing work responsibilities
- Networking with other library workers who may become future colleagues
- Staying committed to social justice issues
- Working within union structures
- Influencing the culture of the library from within
- Deciding when and if to apply for different positions
The nature of the conversation will be based on the interests of the people who attend and may change from meeting to meeting. You can view the notes from previous meetings here.