Date: Tuesday, July 27*
Location: Southeastern's Backyard:
21 S. Elting Corners Rd.
Highland, NY 12528
Facilitator: Kristin Charles-Scaringi, Town of Esopus Library
*In case of inclement weather, we will meet via Zoom.
This group is for library workers from all library types who handle administrative tasks and are becoming leaders in the field. If you aspire to, or are currently working as, a: director, assistant director, manager, program manager, trustee, or serve in a leadership role within a professional organization, this meeting is for you! Topics we will cover in this meeting may include:
- Supervising other staff, volunteers, and/or interns
- Introducing and running programs and services at the library
- Onboarding new employees
- Getting professional development for management skills
- Doing advocacy work on behalf of the library
- Creating and maintaining a budget
- Work/life balance in the light of growing work responsibilities
- Networking with other library workers who may become future colleagues
- Staying committed to social justice issues
- Working within union structures
- Influencing the culture of the library from within
- Deciding when and if to apply for different positions
This will be the first meeting of this group! The nature of the conversation will be based on the interests of the people who attend, and my change from meeting to meeting.
We will be meeting in person so we can make face-to-face connections before future meetings which may be online, or hybrid. If you can’t join us this time, keep an eye out for the follow-up meeting.
This meeting is an in-person social event! We will be low-tech, so please bring a pen and paper if you want to take notes. It will be outdoors in our yard, with accommodations for social distancing. Please wear a mask and bring sunscreen, bug spray, a camp chair, or anything else you need to be comfortable for an hour. Shade, some chairs, and some refreshments will be provided.