Head of Youth Services – Poughkeepsie Public Library District
The Library District seeks an individual to lead an active and engaged department that focuses on children and teens. This position is part of the Library District’s management team and is responsible for overall planning and implementation of programs and services to patrons through high school as well as participation in Library District outreach and engagement activities. The selected candidate should have the ability to work a flexible 35-hours per week schedule to potentially include occasional early mornings along with weekly rotating evenings and weekends.
Qualifications: Candidates must meet minimum qualifications for a Librarian III which includes:
- ALA MLS recognized by the NYS Department of Education,
- Minimum of four (4) years professional library experience,
- Eligibility for a NYS Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate at the time of application for appointment; possession of certificate at time of appointment, and
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends
This is a Civil Service appointment, requiring the candidate to be reachable on the Librarian III Certification of Eligibles list as established by the Dutchess County Department of Human Resources.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics: In addition to the above minimum qualifications, the Library District seeks an individual with the following attributes:
- Demonstrated record of success serving younger patrons,
- A desire for civic engagement with the local community and a passion to bring the Library District’s mission and vision outside the building and to the community at large,
- Leadership and a willingness to actively participate in the Library District’s management team,
- Willingness to participate in state and national library organizations,
- Ability to effectively use library data to analyze Library District operations to effect positive change, as needed,
- Willingness to work with the Library Director in the development of Library District policies and procedures as well as service plan implementation, and
- Ability to represent the Library District at local events.
About the Poughkeepsie Public Library District: The Library District (www.poklib.org) is an independent special library district serving the residents and businesses of the City and Town of Poughkeepsie with a chartered population of 75,000 and an annual budget of $8.1 million. Having recently completed a $22 million capital improvement plan, the organizational focus will now shift to ongoing service evaluation and development as well as continued community engagement.
Compensation: This is a Civil Service appointment represented by CSEA. Minimum salary upon appointment will be $59,875 (Step 1) but could vary depending on experience and qualifications. 35 hour work week. Standard benefit package applies including medical and NYS Retirement System pension plan. Other benefits may be elected. Standard leave package applies.
To Apply: Interest candidates should apply with cover letter and resume via email to Library Director Tom Lawrence at email@example.com. All applications will kept confidential. References will be requested of finalists, only.